Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- What's Next For Pensions, Now That Court Has Tossed Illinois' Law?
- Power Players – Who’s In And Who’s Out When It Comes To Lobbying The New Governor
- Lawmakers Propose Adding Crime Victims' Bill Of Rights To Illinois Law
- How Much Is Your AP Test Score Worth In Illinois? The Answer Varies By University
- New Pension Fixes May Emerge; Rauner Considering Ideas That "Haven't Been Brought Forward Yet"
Tue January 28, 2014
5 Pete Seeger Songs To Sing Together
Originally published on Tue January 28, 2014 5:40 pm
There have been few artists in the history of American folk music who impacted the world beyond folk music with as much power as Pete Seeger. From the Almanac Singers (dedicated to labor songs) to the Weavers (bringing folk into the mainstream) and through the decades of his solo career, Seeger wrote and performed countless songs with a single, pervasive goal: to get people to sing together. He was successful in more ways than are measurable, using music all the way to the end of his 94 years to unite people around the idea they might have something in common. These five songs only barely begin to scratch the surface of his influence, but they are among those which characterize his most lasting legacy.