- Attorney General Wants To Send Concealed Carry Cases Out Of Court
- Republican Bruce Rauner Defends His Personal Tax Bill
- Trucker Asks: Are Police Above The Law?
- Republican Attorney General Candidate: Pension Changes Unconstitutional
- Applicants Denied Concealed Carry Licenses Will Learn Why Under New Emergency Rules
Most Active Stories
Mon December 23, 2013
'12 Years' Gets Story Right But Context, Some Details May Be Off
Originally published on Mon December 23, 2013 4:56 pm
The film 12 Years a Slave tells the real-life story of Solomon Northup. In 1841, Northup, a free black man, was drugged and then sold into slavery. How faithfully does the movie capture Northup's life? As part of our week of truth-squadding some of this year's film biopics, Robert Siegel talks with William Andrews, a professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He wrote To Tell a Free Story: The First Century of Afro-American Autobiography, 1760-1865.